Back to the big-girl room transformation!
It’s shaping up to be my fave room in the house for sure. Just to bring you up to speed, we’ve built and upholstered the mini-fainting couch / toddler beds, stenciled and trimmed-out the herringbone patchwork accent wall, acquired the perfect dresser, and fashioned a vintage-esque starburst mirror. Phew! That run-on sentence sounds far more exhausting than it actually should.
Because of the way the toddler beds extend right to the window, floor-to-ceiling curtains are out of the question for this room. That’s usually my go-to curtain type, but I’m learning to be flexible. Even when it involves the ever-intimidating sewing machine! But this project turned out to be pretty darn simple!
I’m going to show you how we pulled this off, alrighty?
To start with, part of my vision for this room was to have black/white accents. I love the stenciled sections with the black/white step-up triangle stencil, so I thought it would be so fun to play off those with a bold black/white striped roman shade!
I used Premier Prints Vertical Black/White fabric and some fabulous black-out curtain lining fabric (which is OPTIONAL for this project). We learned the hard way the importance of a DARK ROOM to promote sleeping for the tots. In fact, there are still towels and fleece blankets thumb-tacked to the wall in the nursery right at this very moment. We’re classy that way.
The opening of the window is 28” x 72”, so I laid out my fabric and cut 1 inch longer in both directions to leave room for hemming (29” x 73”). I laid out the black out fabric and cut it the exact dimensions of the window because I’m going to hem the edge of the striped fabric over the edge of the black-out fabric. Make sense?
As you can tell by that hem-job above… I’M NO SEAMSTRESS. And it should demonstrate to you that it doesn’t have to be perfect. And if I can do it, why I believe you can too.
Next! We need some mini-blinds! I was going to use the existing blinds in that room, but they were a little shawty… and I didn’t want to go to all this work just to have the mini-blinds bite the dust. So I bought new ones here for only $4 dolla bills. FOUR DOLLARS my people.
Which made me feel better about completely dismantling them. We laid out the mini-blinds completely extended, and cut all the strings to release the ‘slats’. Be sure not to cut the main cords that go vertically through the holes in each slat!
Pop off the little rubber stoppers at the very bottom, snip off the knot at the end of the cords, and pull off all the slats. I recommend using a flathead screwdriver instead of a pocket knife as demonstrated below. It would have been a tragedy to accidently slice off the rubber stopper!
We laid out our panel of already-hemmed-fabric, and made marks every 7 inches (there ended up being 10). Then we put one slat across each of the 10 markings. I put lots of little arrows on this pic because it’s kinda hard to see since there’s so much white going on. You’re welcome.
Using a bulky needle and some embroidery floss, I took a stitch on each slat… going in through the hole, and coming out just above the slat to hold them together.
Then you’ve got this:
We laid our mini-blind ‘skeleton’ over our fabric panel, and started stringing the cords through the holes in each slat… all the way down to the bottom! Then we strung them through the very bottom piece of the mini-blind, tied a knot, and popped those rubber-stoppers back in place.
We hot-glued the top inch of fabric onto the front of the top piece of the mini-blind, and cut a slit for the string.
And glue the bottom piece on as well. Make sure it’s standing up vertically like so:
This bad-boy is ready to hang! Just pop it into the existing mini-blind brackets!
We were so excited the first time we slowly pulled up the Roman Shade with the string… THOSE RUFFLES!
And that black-out curtain fabric is like a Christmas-in-January-MIRACLE. I almost couldn’t see my hand in front of my face! Ok not literally. But let me just tell you it was pretty darn dark.
Here you can see how our ‘new’ roman shades fit in with the rest of the room!
Of course there’s another window in this room that you’ve never seen… because there’s a bunch of junk on that side of the room. But I can assure you that window got the same bold treatment. And eventually we’ll be tackling that side of the room… but not before we finish the chandeliers that will hang over their little beds! I’ll give you a hint… THEY’RE SOOOOO CUTE!
Disclosure! We received free product from The Online Fabric Store to help us out with this project, but were not compensated or told what to say. All opinions and words are our own!