I’m not sure if it’s having an infant in the house again, or the fact that we’re now a family of 5 instead of 4… there’s definitely a different family dynamic. It not a bad thing, but it something we’re still getting used to.
While the girls adore their new little sister, I sometimes worry that they feel neglected or that I like the baby more than them. They don’t necessarily act that way. But the other day while I was giving Cypress a bottle, Paisley said ‘when you’re done taking care of the baby, can you take care of me?’
Insert MOMMY GUILT.
Now, in general, I consider myself a pretty stellar parent. Obviously I have my moments of… yeah. But I’m pretty confident I guess you could say. However even the most confident of mommies get hit with Mommy Guilt from time to time, and I think it’s pretty normal.
- Am I spending enough time with my children?
- Am I spending TOO MUCH time with my children and preventing them from learning to play independently?
- Will my baby be healthy even though I only produce enough breastmilk for 1/4 of her diet?
- Should I be exercising so my husband can have his smokin’ hot wifey back?
- Should I be doing laundry instead of watching Scandal after all the kids are in bed?
You get the picture. I could go on and on. And if you’re a mom, I bet you could add to my list too.
But I’m learning that’s just part of it! We do our best, but really we’re all just fumbling around in the darkness… figuring out this parenting thing as we go. Am I right?!
So here’s to GETTING BY! Cheers!