We spend a lot of time blogging about creative stuff, and how cute our babies are… but I decided we’re due for an update on all the happenings around our acreage.
- It’s been HOT. We had something like 13 days in a row that the heat index was above 100. Only recently have we been able to venture outdoors with the girls and walk the ‘nature trail’. Which has been hard, because it’s been our nightly ritual to go on a family walk after supper (the time of day when the girls are the most crabby) to calm them down to get ready for bed.
- Our kitty, Blanche, had a record setting litter of… wait for it… NINE KITTENS. Anybody looking for a new fuzzy companion in about 5 weeks?
- Our garden is doing pretty good. Our carrots and lettuce look a little sad, but everything else seems to be doing great! We’re excited to have some fresh/free-ish produce! But the best part is that Nick announced to me that weeding is therapeutic for him. So he’s been a real trooper about weeding! I love that guy.
- Speaking of gardens, Nick and I were weeding together in the flower garden that my mom planted for us (THANKS MOM!), and Nick jumped into the air when he saw this little guy laying in the dirt.
- He had fallen out of the birdhouse above, and it was a legit miracle that we found him before Reuben got to him. Nick scooped him up with a trowel and dumped him back into the hole of the birdhouse.
- In addition to the scorching heat here in the Midwest, we’re also in a bit of a drought. Our grass has a widespread problem with being DEAD. It’s brown and crunchy. But the one upside to dead grass is that I don’t have to give up my husband to mowing 6+ hours a week, because the grass isn’t growing! We went 7 weeks without having to mow… crazy.
That’s it for acreage updates!