I’m no pro at marketing or anything, but being a seasoned craigslist buyer/seller, I’m going to share a few tips on how to list an item for sale in a manor that will allow you to get the maximum dolla sign.
- Firstly, be thorough in your description of the item. It’ll save you having to answer questions from people. Describe why you’re selling it, what the dimensions are, what condition the item is in (being specific about damage, sturdiness, missing pieces), and include the price in your listing. Nobody wants to have to contact you just to find out how much you’re asking.
- Secondly, don’t be overly enthusiastic in your wording, or excessive in your use of exclamation points. You don’t want to sound like an infomercial.
- Most importantly, for the love… take good pictures of the item. Pictures that MAKE THE ITEM LOOK GOOD. We’ve all seen craigslist ads where you’re not quite sure what you’re looking at in the picture. Or it looks so undesirable that you overlook it, when in fact it might be a great piece for a killer price.
1) Please, consider what’s in the background of your photo. A big mess or lots of busyness is really distracting and doesn’t accurately represent your item. You want your item to be the star of the photo!
2) Make sure there’s nothing inappropriate in the photo. (btw, Kotex is my tampon of choice. All opinions are 100% my own. Kotex did not pay or perk me for this advertisement).
3) CLEAN IT OFF. We’ve all seen someone trying to sell a dresser with the drawers open and clothing overflowing out of it. Potential buyers need to be able to picture the object in their home. Remove your garbage.
4) Make sure the lighting is good and your photo isn’t fuzzy.
5) Please, I beg you, don’t have a person in your photo. It’s tacky. Even if you have a smokin’ hot model like I do here:
Instead, take clear crisp photos of your item.
Have at least one photo that shows the entire item.
But also have a close-up or two, highlighting areas that may be of interest to the buyer.
Here’s our craigslist posting for Nick’s Rockin’ End Table.
Like the Woodgrain Coffee Table, it sold within hours of being posted. It’s amazing how taking the time to make your item look appealing can make such a difference. Sometimes I see a post on craigslist, and I think to myself ‘this person could list their item for 3x the price if they bothered to post nice photos and provide a detailed description’.
Most importantly folks, be safe when meeting up with a buyer/seller that you don’t know personally. Don’t give them your address. Meet them in a well-lit public place, take a friend, and have some pepper spray close by. There’s some real freaks out there.
Now go forth and sell!
Do you have any tips for items too large to cart from your house? I have a stove to sell.
Okay, Bethany. I am catching up on your blog. As you can see, 13 people already commented on this blog. I was really enjoying your comments and pictures until I got to the picture of Nick. How hilarious. I laughed so hard I cried and then I couldn’t read the rest of the blog until I composed myself. Love the hunting hat and bear bottles. I have to go back now and look for his hands in his pants. Wow. You really rock with your blog.
Laura VW says
I totally <3 that you took time to pose all the “bad” pictures. That makes this (already good and informative) post rock even more!
did you really sell that table?! I really like it! My whole family on both sides are music lovers. so coool! And I laughed so hard, thanks for the tips genious!
yes we sold it.
I would love some tips on finding the great deals on craigslist. I live in the country about an hour from Des Moines and 20 mins from Marshalltown and have a hard time figuring out how to find much for sale in this area. By the time i am able to make it to Des Moines it has already sold. Also everything is usually overpriced and they won’t come down.
Mary C. says
Thanks so much for the tips!
Lori C says
Looools!!! Love it! (and you are so right!) I have passed over many things because there were NO pictures…what are people thinking??
Beth Willmore says
Oh my heavens I’m laughing so hard at your husband in his wife beater, hand down his pants and bottles on the table. So hilarious!
Loved the picture of the smokin’ hot model with his hand in his pants! Made me laugh! Hysterically!
The Baack Family says
Love the pictures of inappropriate items and no models. 🙂
That is a GREAT post. Very informative and smart. Thanks for the information and especially the note to be safe when selling to a stranger. Btw, tell Nick that picture was hilarious…and TOTALLY not him. Bahaha.
Great Post, I’ve purchased some quality stuff off craigs list and your correct in all counts. I hate when there is no price and pic. The babies are so sweet! Mary
Thank you for those tips! I want some good budgeting tips from you guys. In a post I read along time ago of yours you had mentioned that Nick has your budget down to a science. Do tell! Also I have just recently read Dave Ramsey’s Total Money Makeover book. I highly recommend it. Love your blog.
You’re so cute! I wish my little piece of middle-of-no-where-Iowa was closer to yours!
I’m sorry if this sounds sort of stalkerish! Just another stay home mom here!