On this day, I’m a little foggy and sleep-deprived. You might assume that it’s directly related to having a 4-month-old baby… BUT NO. Della (4 years old) awoke in the middle of the night CONVINCED there was a kangaroo in her room. We’re talking blood-curdling screeeaming as she flailed down the hallway to find us.
Luckily she didn’t wake up Cypress… or Paisley for that matter (who was sleeping 6 feet from her). But after this happened 3 times in a half hour period, I just took my pillow in and attempted to sleep on the floor by her bed… because this mama does NOT fit on those adorable little fainting couch beds.
Needless to say, I didn’t sleep well. Or at all? It’s one of those things where I’m not sure.
But one thing I do know for sure?
I NEED A NAP.
But for now, I’ve brewed myself a strong cup of coffee… so let’s chat!
Recently, my bloggity friend Jen from House of Wood proposed an idea that a group of us buildy-types collaborate and each do a project using ONLY ONE BOARD. I’m not sure I quite consider myself a ‘buildy-type’ quite yet… but I’m learning my way around the woodshop, and am super honored to be a part of this group!
I love a good challenge… and ohhhh the possibilities of what I could do with this singular board! The only stipulation for participating in this challenge is that the board has to be a 1×8 and 8 feet long. Here I am with the board for size comparison.
I knew I wanted to chop this bad boy into a zillion little pieces and make some wall art… similar to my Wooden Kilim Art… but this time I wanted it to be a geometric pattern that appears to look 3D. Something like this inspiration pic I found.
I knew the hardest part of this would be THE MATH… ugh. Think cold-sweats and gnashing of teeth. So I shared my idea with Nick and he accepted the challenge! I wanted the art to be as large as possible… while still saving enough for a 2” frame… all from the same board!
The wider board above is 2” and will be the frame. The other three narrower strips are each 1.5” and will be cut down into cute little triangles! This is how our board is divided:
Nick loves angles… and building jigs. If you’re not familiar, a jig is a contraption that guides your board to be cut at a certain angle. I think I said that right… (Buildy Friends, please confirm).
He whipped up this little thing that holds the board in place at a certain angle while pushing it through the table saw. When I originally planned this project, I wasn’t thinking about the fact that miter saws only angle out to 45 degrees, so that won’t work! This sweet jig made things super easy, and we had all these little triangles cut in no time at all!
It turned out to be roughly 90 triangles, and the next step was to knock off those rough corners with the router. I wanted them to have some dimension when laid out flat, instead of all running into each other. You’ll see what I mean in a sec!
I set aside 3 triangles, and divided the rest into 3 equal parts. One third was stained RustOleum Golden Oak. Another third got stained Dark Walnut. And the final third didn’t get stained at all!
The remaining 3 triangles that I set aside, I stained a bright fuschia with my new fave colored stain Unicorn Spit. The color is so rich and smooth! I stained one triangle dark and rich, the second one medium, and the last one very lightly.
So since I wanted this to look very geometric and 3-dimensional, I started putting one triangle of each shade of stain together to create larger triangles with all 3 shades of wood. And the same concept for the pop of fuschia triangle!
I liked this hexagon shape that emerged, but I had more triangles to add… and, naturally I wanted to use the whole board. So I ended up with this large rectangle. LOVE!
After laying down some wax paper, I slapped on some wood glue to each triangle and pieced the whole thing together nice and snug on the wax paper.
All that’s left was to take that final 8’ strip of wood and make a frame! We used a 3/8” rabbet bit to route a groove for the art to sit in.
After painting the frame white, we popped the now-solid wooden mosaic, spread wood glue all over the back, and pressed on cardstock. Then flipped it over and let it dry!
And, since I know somebody’s going to ask, the wallpaper isn’t wallpaper… it’s a stencil! And that post is here. The secretary desk was given a white-wash treatment, and the family photo was taken by the talented Molly Long!
Be sure to check out all the other awesome ‘One Board Challenge’ projects from my fellow buildy blogger friends! (Links are at the bottom)
Jen @ House Of Wood – Emily @ Merrypad – Karah @ The Space Between – Jessica @ Décor Adventures – Elisha @ Pneumatic Addict – Sarah @ The Ugly Duckling House – Kim @ Kim Six Fix – Pauline @ My Altered State – Amy @ Her Tool Belt – Mindi @ My Love to Create – Jenn @ Build Basic – Brad @ Fix This Build That – Brittany @ Pretty Handy Girl – Jaime @ That’s My Letter – Katie @ Addicted to DIY – Sandra @ Sawdust Girl